Monday, January 24, 2011

Good News !

Today I received confirmation that I have been accepted to participate in the International Field Program through the New School University’s graduate program. The program sends a limited amount of students to various countries to intern for the summer. My first and only choice was Kosova. This program was the reason I chose to apply to the graduate program at the New School.


With a concentration in Conflict and Security, Kosova seemed like the perfect place to spend the summer given their tumultuous history. The violent 1999 conflict, which resulted in a NATO bombing campaign of Serbian troops, continued the disintegration of the former Yugoslavia and the reign of Milošević. In 2008 Kosova declared independence but there are still many countries that do not recognize it today. Kosova is still in a very transitioning phase and still under UN control.

To prepare for the summer, this semester I will be taking classes in Albanian language, humanitarian intervention, research methods, reading a ton about the history of this young country, and participating in various skill-building workshops. I will find out in the next few weeks the organization where I will intern.


The flag of independent Kosova

No comments:

Post a Comment